1. Be grateful – When you stop and see the blessings all around you, you will learn to be happy as a habit. Think of all the things you are grateful for. Count your blessings not your troubles.
2. Be original – Don’t waste energy trying to fit in, the original masterpiece you are is so much better than a copy of someone else. Recognize your magnificence.
3. Keep it simple – Don’t over-complicate things by worrying and focusing on things you have no control of, now is all you have, enjoy the moment. Be present, live on purpose. Remember you are a spiritual being, the trappings of the ego will not bring you peace and joy; find your peace in simplicity.
4. Love – It is really simple, Love God, Love your neighbor and Love yourself. If you do these things all you will create a life of joy and happiness. Perfect love drives out fear, when you live your life making the most loving decision your capable of in each moment; you will live fearlessly and be truly empowered.
5. Be kind – It is impossible to refresh others without being refreshed. If you are having a hard time, find someone to encourage. It is impossible to be discouraged when you are encouraging someone else. Small random acts of kindness speak volumes to someone who I having a difficult day.
6. Forgive – When you release the burden of anger and forgive you free yourself to enjoy your life without the bondage of hate and bitterness, you take back your power and the other person no longer has a hold on you. Forgiveness is the gift you give yourself.
7. Don’t take things personally – How others treat you is a reflection of them not of you. They have their own drama, release the need to get others approval or to have others like you. If others are unkind, it has nothing to do with you, let it go.
8. Take time to experience the wonder – Nature, children and animals all can bring peace and joy into our lives. Take time to go for a walk with a child and experience the world through their eyes. Spend time in nature and recognize the wonder. Imitate the simple kindness and loyalty of a dog, they just love. Life is full of wonder, get you some.
9. Do something creative – We are spiritual beings created to be creators. When you step into your creativity you ignite the part of your soul that is connected to the source of all creation. Find any creative outlet that makes you sing: cooking, art, music, writing, gardening, organizing your closet, the list is endless. Don’t die with your song unsung.
10. Be social – We are not meant to live in isolation. Call a friend. Go for a walk and start a conversation with a stranger. Do something to interact with someone in a significant way. Leave them better than you found them.
These are some of the things I try to follow as I walk my path. I hope they inspire and help you to live a more happy empowered life.
Maria Elena Escobar